Open discussion about freeMXF.org tools and MXF in general
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm
Board index » MXF Categories » freeMXF.org Tools

Author
Search for:
Rookie

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:18 pm 
Hello,

I have been challenged with the task to convert a mxf file to a DPX (or alternatively OpenExr) file sequence. Perhaps you can recommend a tool that can do this already (haven't found something on google). If there is nothing available, can you roughly lay out (or point me to an example) how I would read an mxf via the library and unpack the essence data to RBG, which I then write as a dpx/exr (i have done that already- so no problem there).

Thanks

Sebastian

Insider

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 pm 
It really depends on what type of MXF file it is - do you know the format of the essence in the file?

The MXFSplit sample program that is part of MXFLib will extract all the essence in an MXF file to separate files - that would be a good starting point

Profile WWW  

Rookie

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm 
The files come straight out of avid media composer. The project is PAL 16:9 DV Pro 25 4:2:0.

Thought I have worked with image frameworks for visual effects I am very new to the whole codec/container/editing area. I had a look at the split tool and noticed that the metadata in my files doesn't even contain the timecode which I am after. I think this is a avid media composer problem, because other mxf files have them.

But I guess with the DV Parser classes I could access the data stream as RGB values, right?

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks for the quick reply.

Sebastian

Insider

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm 
It may be that you would be better off using MXFSplit to extract the DV essence, then convert that to an image sequence.

Profile WWW  

Jump to: